Register >Forgot password >
Thirsk Community Primary School, Hambleton Place, Thirsk, North Yorkshire, YO7 1SL
At Thirsk Community Primary School, we believe that a school uniform fosters a sense of identity, belonging and pride. Our uniform sets a high standard of appearance for all, whilst clothing pupils in practical, cost-effective school-wear. We expect all pupils to wear school uniform daily for school. The only exceptions for not wearing school uniform are where it is a PE/ sports-day (see PE kit section below) or, it has been an agreed own clothes/ dress-up day e.g., to raise money for a charity or organisation.
Aims of the Policy:
· To set a high standard for presentation of children at school
· To make clear to the whole school community the expectation of uniform at Thirsk Community Primary School
· To promote a sense of pride in the school and a positive impact on behaviour and attitudes in our school
· To develop a sense of community and belonging to the school
Implementation of the Policy
At Thirsk Community Primary School, we believe that a school uniform ensures that:
· everybody is dressed in practical clothes and looks smart
· children feel equal to others in terms of appearance
· clothing is not distracting in class (as fashion clothes and hairstyles can be) and it is suitable for school
· parents get good value for money
· clothing is designed with health and safety in mind
· children are identified with our school when taking part in out of school educational activities and visits.
School Uniform at Thirsk Community Primary School
· No jewellery, except wrist watches and small, plain studs for pierced ears – both of which must be removed for P.E. and swimming (children having their ears pierced should do so at the beginning of the 6 week summer break to allow time to heal). Smart watches e.g. watches with the ability to connect to the internet, display messages, make recording either audio or video are not permitted at school.
· Skirt length modest – no shorter than just above the knee
· No high-heeled shoes over 3cm or ‘Ugg Boot’ type footwear. Open toed or flimsy sandals are not safe
· Black shoes are preferred for school as they offer good protection for growing feet.
· No fashion items, e.g. boot-leg trousers, mini-skirts or designer sportswear
· Socks and tights should be a plain colour with no pattern
All clothing, including coats and shoes needs to be labelled with pupil’s name
At Thirsk Community Primary School we try to encourage our children to take responsibility for their own appearance, to look clean, smart and tidy at all times. It is the responsibility of parents to ensure their child is properly attired for school.
Members of the school staff have responsibility for promoting the school’s uniform policy by reminding children about the rules relating to appropriate dress. If a problem arises, the Headteacher or Deputy will in the first instance contact parents.
A teacher’s time can more profitably be spent focussing upon teaching and learning, we therefore anticipate all parents will fully support the uniform policy.
School Uniform Consists of:
Red sweatshirt, jumper or cardigan with white collared t-shirt; black/ Charcoal grey, skirt/pinafore, trousers or shorts; white/grey socks or red/grey tights. In warm weather red and white checked summer dresses may be worn.
We do not insist that pupils wear uniform with the school logo on and parents can buy uniform in the school colours from high street shops. Often uniform can be purchased in major high-street supermarkets.
The school does stock a small quantity of Jumpers and sweatshirts embroidered with the school logo and these can be purchased from the school office. Items are also available from the school trends online shop.
P.E. kit consists of:
· Black shorts
· Plain white T-shirt
· Sweatshirt In winter and for outdoor games
· PE kit can also include:
· Dark tracksuit bottoms without explicit branding
· Sweatshirt or other dark tracksuit top without explicit branding
· A pair of dark trainers without explicit branding PE kit is best stored in a draw-string PE bag.
· Children should only wear one pair of small, plain stud earrings. These should not be worn on P.E. or swimming days. (Children having their ears pierced should do so at the beginning of the 6 week summer break to allow time to heal). If children come to school wearing earrings on P.E. or swimming days they will have to take the earrings out themselves
· Children may wear a watch. Please be aware that Smart watches are not permitted
· Teachers do not take responsibility for looking after jewellery
· Exceptions may be made at the Headteacher’s discretion where charity wrist bands are concerned
· Children should not wear nail varnish, make up or including temporary tattoos,
· Long hair should be tied back. This is particularly important in order to prevent the spread of headlice
· Hair accessories such as slides, hair bands, ribbons, bobbles should be simple and manageable
· Parents are asked to ensure children’s hairstyles are appropriate for school
· Children should not bring mobile phones to school. If an older pupil needs one to use after school to get in touch with their family they must leave it at the school office during the school day (Please note it should be switched off and clearly labelled and the school do not accept any responsibility whilst it is on the premises – any device is brought to school at the owner’s risk)
Disability Equality Impact Assessment This policy has been written with reference to, and in consideration of, the school’s Disability Equality Scheme. Assessment will include consideration of issues identified by the involvement of disabled children, staff and parents and any information the school holds on disabled children, staff and parents.
Any questions or concerns regarding this policy should be made to the Headteacher.
> parents > Thirsk Community Primary School > Starter Bundle - Essential Sweatcardi - Frequent wash
To help make uniform ordering as easy as possible, we've created this resources page which has links to all the different resources you may need.